To tell stories, build community, and pursue equity through the production of new and existing theatrical works.
Stage Left Theater is founded on the belief that live theater provides a mechanism for interpersonal interaction not provided by television and movies, that it should be a force for political, intellectual and social stimulation, and should be relevant to the daily lives of the audience and the players. We seek to broaden the involvement of the general population by engaging issues of topical value and stimulating the analysis and discussion of the structure and goals of society.
Stage Left Theater Association is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization registered in the state of Washington. It was founded in December, 2011 with the goal of providing an alternative theater experience in Spokane. Our current venue, formerly a retail space, was purchased in January, 2012, by Stage Left Properties LLC, and was renovated to serve as a theater. This work was completed in early 2013, whereupon it was leased to Stage Left Theater Association. We produce 5-6 Main Stage Productions, 4 Festivals, and multiple Special Events every season.
• LONELY PLANET : Top 12 productions in the nation, American Association of Community Theatres
• CORPUS CHRISTI: "Best of the Inland Northwest" Silver Award 2022
• I AM MY OWN WIFE: "Best of the Inland Northwest" Bronze Award 2021
• 2021 Spokane Arts Award in the category of INCLUSION
• 2021 Governor's Arts Heritage Luminary Award: Jeremy Whittington, Managing Artistic Director
• 2022 Twink Lynch Organizational Achievement Award, AACT
Stage Left Theater is holding auditions for the Regional Premiere of Joshua Harmon's ADMISSIONS, directed by Susan Hardie.
Auditions will be held at Stage Left Theater, 108 W 3rd Avenue from 6pm to 9pm on Monday, July 11, with Call Backs the following evening. NO REHEARSED MONOLOGUES ARE REQUIRED. Selected sides will be provided upon arrival, and people will be called into the auditorium individually and as groups for readings. If you have questions about the audition process, or if you need to set up an alternative time to audition, please email us at Audition.StageLeft@gmail.com, and we will get back to you promptly.
Rehearsals run August 9 through September 8 with performances September 9 - 25 (Th, Fr, Sat at 7pm, Sun at 2pm)
ABOUT THE PLAY:
Sherri Rosen-Mason is head of the admissions department at a New England prep school, fighting to diversify the student body. Alongside her husband, the school's headmaster, they've largely succeeded in bringing a stodgy institution into the twenty-first century. But when their only son sets his sights on an Ivy League university, personal ambition collides with progressive values, with convulsive results. A no-holes-barred look at privilege, power, and the perils of hypocrisy.
Winner of the 2018 Outer Critics Circle Award, Outstanding New Off-Broadway Play, and the 2018 Drama Desk Award, Outstanding Play.
• SHERRI ROSEN-MASON, 40 to 60, very liberal secular Jewish woman. Head of Admissions for Hillcrest.
• BILL MASON, 40 to 60, very liberal WASP, Sherri's husband. Head of the School at Hillcrest.
• CHARLIE LUTHER MASON, 17, Bill and Sherri's son, a senior at Hillcrest.
• GINNIE PETERS, 40 to 60, very liberal WASP, stay-at-home mom; her son is Charlie's best friend.
• ROBERTA, early 70s, white, works in development at Hillcrest.
Masks are encouraged inside the theater.
We put safety first as we navigate the global pandemic and the requirements necessary to ensure the well-bring of our casts, crews, staff, and patrons. For a full list of our current precautions, sign up for our monthly newsletter, or contact Front-of-House Manager, Joy Wood at BoxOffice.StageLeft@gmail.com
Stage Left stands with members of all marginalized, oppressed, brutalized communities in their fight for equality and justice. At the center of everything we do is JUSTICE. We hope you walk away from each of our productions feeling inspired and motivated to help create change in the world and in your community.
Join our newsletter to hear from us about upcoming theater performances and events.